Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Long Overdue Update

Here's a long overdue update on our family and me . . .

Two weeks ago, I had a day of seizures -- nine of them in all. Everyone was very afraid of what was going on and whether or not I would make it through them all. A hopsice nurse spent the next three nights here with me getting through the time facing whatever outcome with which there was to deal. Well, praise the Lord, I awoke on the other side seeming to be pretty normal! I still had the physcial limitations I had been struggling with for months, but the seizures were over.

One major side effect that did occur was six months of memory loss. Lee and the children are telling me about life of the last six months and I don't have any recollection of the events that have happened. From birthday parties to family get togethers to hospice time, I don't remember about the last six months of time. That's really strange to see pictures and read about events on the calendar, and not remember a thing about any of them.

Lee says that life has been a risk every step of the way. Hospice was called in for some major pain relief the first part of October. They said I wouldn't see the next month and then the next month. But, the Lord kept defying what their predictions were! Throughout these past four months of hospice care, we have faced an unexpected place we never anticipated in life. I have been heavily drugged as a measure of relief from the severe pain I was experiencing. There have been days I have not woken up, not eaten, thrown up all day, cried all day, but there have been days I have gone shopping and even made Christmas cookies.

Today, I have extreme pain in my feet and lower calf region as well as my lower groin area. I have a catheter, so doing anything is just about impossible. I'm not allowed to walk without someone with me. And, even when someone is walking with me, the pain is so challenging, I don't have much desire to be moving about the house. When you consider what I remember, I'm only two weeks into this new realization of life's circumstances and I'm just about to climb out of my skin. Lee's been doing this for five months now. He is a picture of the "in sickness and in health" part of our wedding vows. Our home is functioning in such a compromised condition. He has to do everything, including all he did before. I'm so honored to have him for my husband. Everything he does is with such gentleness, love and care. Never does he complain or grumble about what life is today. He just loves me along the way.

The hope is for this pain to reduce to nothing. For our life to get back to some sort of normalcy. I would just like to be able to walk without pain, to lay down without pain and to not be taking as many pain pills. So there is an update on our home. Don't know how we got to this place, but the Lord's protecting us here as well.

12 comments:

  1. Kim (Banton) IchikawaFebruary 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM

    I'm praying for you, Cathy, and believing for God's perfect best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that you will have relief from the pain, peace that passes understanding and rest as your body heals. I brought a meal in late October and was so touched that you took time in your pain to visit and introdudced me to your children (that I hadn't already met). You were a week beyond the time the world's wisdom had given you and here we were visiting sharing laughs and YOU walked me to the door! I was so blessed because the truth became more real to me that HIS WAYS ARE NOT OUR WAYS.

    You are His workmanship, created for good works in Christ Cathy. I am praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to pray for you and your family as you go thru this time. I love you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking of you and hoping we would hear from you. I am sorry to hear of this latest battle with pain you are going through. So thankful you have a husband who is doing all he can for you and loving you with his service. I will be in prayer for you continuously. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1
    Much love to you sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for you and the family and your precious husband.
    Like Theresa, so thankful to hear from you.
    Thanks for updating.
    We have all missed you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're praying for you and for a miracle. You are a very brave and lovely lady. My hat is off to you!
    Jan Carter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cathy, I was thrilled to see that you had written an update. You are on my mind continually. Boy, not an easy update to read. What you have endured in the last several months is more pain than many of us will endure in a lifetime.

    And yet my heart is gladdened to hear of the faithfulnes of your husband. It sounds like you are surrounded by love. I will continue to lift you up in prayer. After reading this I can pray more specifically to the needs you and your family have.

    May God wash your entire body in healing & peace! Love from Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy, I thank God for every moment I've had with you. Praying for relief of pain for you. Praying His Mercies, comfort, protection, and healing wash over you. Praying for Lee as he has truly been a faithful man of God. Praying for each and every one of your precious babies. Praying for His perfect peace and comfort for them.

    Thank you for sharing your story; your journey; your walk of faith. He is truly being glorified through you.

    Love you,
    Monique Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Cathy,
    I am amazed and thrilled to see you blogging again!! As, I know firsthand how rough the last few weeks have been for you and your family.

    I pray for you daily and will continue to pray for your comfort and relief from the pain.
    I love you!
    Karen P.
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear Lee and Kate (and Family),

    As I enjoy listening to "Revelation Song" on your blog, with my eyes somewhat filled with tears of both heaviness for all that you and your family have experienced these past few years and also of joy thinking of all that God has yet to reveal to us and in knowing in His purposes that we serve a great God who is worthy of all of our praise and trust, period.

    Cathy, As a man who clearly sees God's hand in usig my Mom's death and my desire to honor what I know she would have wanted for me in terms of waiting for the right woman, this desire kept me waiting for what God had for me for almost 30 years after her death when I met an amazing woman. :) You have done a remarkable job modeling for your children those things that are so important and I know your legacy will influence their thinking and be part of their desire to honor the Lord and all the things that you have valued.

    I'm so grateful for the example you and Lee have been to your children for valuing so many of the right things, family, loving one another, honesty, purity, integrity, the simple pleasures of enjoying one another.

    I am further honored to call you friend, Lee, for the way you have upheld your wedding vows amidst some amazingly rough circumstances. You are the second man in the past decade that I have seen truly exemplify the commitment and love that many
    would be hard-pressed to maintain in similar circumstances. I know you and others have been tired and have been emotionally stretched.

    I often reflect on many of my fond memories with you, enjoying a camping trip together, having a meal at your house together, or having some memorable heart-to-heart talks. :)

    I think it will be impossible in my lifetime to visit Lake Cachuma or Solvang and not have a flood of warm memories of all of you and share these experiences with our children. :0)

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  11. you, your life, your husband, your children, your suffering, your blog GLORIFY GOD. praising Him for you. may God grant you a long life in the arms of your loving husband and children because of your faithfulness to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cathy, I love you and am so amazed at your updated blog. What courage and strength are yours. I will be praying for pain relief for you and continued strength for all of you. Our family loves you all so much....not a day goes by that we don't speak of you, pray for you.... we love you.
    Karen Weiss

    ReplyDelete

So glad to hear from you! ~The Mama